Sunday, October 30, 2011
recipe :: killer apples
This is my absolute favourite thing to make for Halloween parties. I can't remember where I originally found this idea but I thought I would share it here with you guys. I also don't know what they are actually called so I named them "Killer Apples", ha! These apple snacks are super easy to make, look adorable and are delicious (as long as you like apples). So here we go!
1. Gather your apples and sliced and/or slivered almonds. Each apple makes four "Killer Apples". Usually when I make these for parties I like to use red, green and yellow apples for variety. Today though I just used red. You can use any apples that you like!
2. Get out a knife and cutting board and cut your apple into quarters.
3. Carefully cut the cores out of your apples. I like to slice halfway on one side and then finish the cut on the other side.
4. Cut a wedge out of the front of your slices (the part with the skin). Make sure you don't cut too deep or you will slice all the way through your apple!
5. Push the sliced and slivered almonds carefully into the upper and lower parts of your slice. Get them nice and close to the edge! I like to make some with all slivered almonds for creepy, weird looking teeth and then some with sliced almonds for most of the teeth and then slivered almonds for "fangs".
6. Serve and enjoy! If you are making these in advance for a party you can squirt a bit of lemon juice on your slices to keep them from browning.
If you would like to make these extra fancy you can make some kind of dipping sauce to go along with them. Something peanut buttery would be delicious!!
Oh yeah, and one of the best parts about these? You can bite into the back and "wear" them for silly photos.
Fun!! Let me know if you make some!